Day 8. Rochechouart to Excideuil

La France Profonde

From Rochechouart the France en Vélo book takes a zig-zag route to the Dordogne through the tourist meccas of Brantôme, Les Eyzies and Sarlat. As I had already visited these places, I chose to take a more direct route for the next two days to reach the Dordogne at Souillac. 

Google maps is very useful for route planning as it shows both the height gain and a profile, and I used its suggestions to work out a route along minor roads through Châlus and Thiviers to Excideuil. La France Profonde doesn't get much deeper than this. 

The terrain had been gradually getting more lumpy each day, and today's route went up to 400 metres in a couple of places, but light relief was provided by what the French call a voie verte along the disused railway line from Oradour-sur-Vayres to Châlus.  Note the difference from most converted railway tracks in the UK - smooth tarmac rather than rough gravel.


I arrived in Excideuil around 3.30, found my hotel (in the photo) only to discover that it was closed on Monday lunchtime and would not open until 5.00. Rats. I whiled away the time by finding a park where I could lay in the shade and read the papers on my phone before going back to the hotel for a much needed shower followed by an al fresco dinner on the terrace outside.


Distance today - 84 km.                   Distance from St Malo 650 km.



No comments:

Post a Comment