Day 13. Millau to Gignac

La Partage des Eaux
Today marked two significant milestones - passing the 1000 km mark and crossing the watershed between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean. I left town and crossed the river Tarn where I got my first view of the Millau Viaduct, an audacious piece of engineering that takes the motorway across the Tarn valley, linking the Grandes Causses plateaux of Sévérac (which I crossed yesterday) and Larzac (which I needed to cross today). One of the bridge pylons is taller than the Eiffel Tower!

Crossing the Tarn at Millau

If cyclists had been allowed to ride across the viaduct it would have saved me a great deal of effort - instead I had to toil up a zigzag road for about 4km at an average gradient of almost 10%. Fortunately there was hardly any traffic and the road surface was very smooth, but I needed several rests (with the excuse of taking photos of the viaduct) before eventually emerging on the plateau by a car park that was very busy with the local parapentistes.

The ascent to the Plateau de Larzac with the Millau Viaduct in the background

Once on the plateau the going was much easier to a coffee stop in the  attractive village of La Cavalerie with its old walled centre, and then I followed the old N9 which was almost empty as a motorway now takes most of the traffic. I turned off at Le Caylar onto minor roads that undulated over the plateau until a small rise and a sign by a ruined building announced the Col du Vent at 703m.
 
La Cavalerie
On the Plateau de Larzac south of Le Caylar
I wondered why this insignificant ascent warranted a sign but the south side was a very different story – 10 km of continuously steep descent with lots of hairpins which I took very gingerly before continuing through the vineyards and across the Hérault river into Gignac.  I got the phone out to look for the hotel only to discover that I had almost ridden past it on the way into town...

Distance today - 87 km (and 1056 m of ascent)        
Distance from St Malo - 1068 km

No comments:

Post a Comment