Day 6. Parthenay to L'Isle Jourdain

La Vienne
My progress across France can be measured in terms of the five major rivers that are crossed en route. Today's ride ended by crossing the Vienne - two down, three to go.

It was long day through gentle rolling countryside, small towns and sleepy villages in the departments of Deux Sèvres and Vienne.  Hot weather was forecast so I was away by 8.30, with stops in Lusignan for bread, cakes and coffee and then at Vivonne where the town was buzzing with the Saturday market and I was glad to be able to restock with water.

The little village of Chateau Larcher (in the photo) with its castle was a good spot for a picnic stop and then it was just a question of keeping going in the afternoon heat.



The way into L'isle Jourdain takes you under this rather fine railway viaduct over the river Vienne - the last train left years ago and it's now used for saut en elastique (bungee jumping).
 
If I knew then what I know now I could have cycled across the viaduct as my B&B was near the far end, but then I would have missed out on this photo oppportunity from the road bridge.


My chambre d'hôte was this elegant mansion run by an expat British couple, a great find with the facilities and ambience of a posh country house hotel for a fraction of the price. I cooled off with a swim in the pool, chatted with the owners over an apéro, then strolled the short distance into town for a simple but excellent meal of salade de chèvre, steak-frites and tarte aux pommes. I could get used to this cycle touring lark.





Distance today - 103 km.                   Distance from St Malo 506 km.







No comments:

Post a Comment