Day 4. Monjean-sur-Loire to Fontevraud l'Abbaye

La Loire à Vélo
This was the only day of the trip where I met lots of other cyclists, as I was mostly following parts of La Loire à Vélo, an 800km cycle route from Nevers to St Nazaire. A large peloton of French cyclists were staying in the hotel and heading off downstream to Nantes, and I spent some time chatting to a Dutch group as we pottered along. There are a few cycle paths, but it's mostly on quiet minor roads near to the river.



I kept by the river rather than following the book's route through Brissac Quincé, and after passing through Saumur a short climb led up through the vineyards to  the small town of Fontevraud l'Abbaye and this rather posh hotel in the main square next to the abbey. I sat outside nursing a pre-dinner beer reflecting that all was well with the world - the sun was shining and I had done over 300 km with no rain, no strong winds, and no punctures.

Distance today - 96 km.                   Distance from St Malo 328 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment