Day 1. St Malo to Dol-de-Bretagne

La Manche

An easy day to start - cycle to Moreton, train to Poole and the 10 am ferry to St Malo with a short stop in Guernsey to change boats. The weather was prefect - barely a cloud in the sky, no wind and a flat calm sea.

St Malo

After a photo stop by the beach I headed out of town in a vaguely easterly direction but soon found myself on a fast dual carriageway, a far cry from the quiet rural roads that I was hoping for. Lesson learned  - after that I always turned on Viewranger with OpenCycle Map and tracked the ride from the start, so that I could quickly find my exact location.

I soon found my way onto minor roads where I was flagged down by a random bloke in a small van. He must have had a load of freebie water bottles left over from some cycling event and insisted I took one. (And very useful it turned out to be when the weather hotted up further south.) 

After that it was an easy ride along the coast and inland to my hotel in the middle of Dol. Every hotel on this trip had somewhere secure to store my bike overnight - I wonder if that would be the case back home?

On the coast with Mont St Michel just visible in the distance.

 

Distance today - 36 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment