Day 10. Souillac to Figeac

La Canicule 

The heatwave looked set to continue so I made an early start, crossing the Dordogne (major river number 3) on a small bridge at Pinsac. The France en Vélo route now heads uphill to the tourist magnet of Rocamadour, but it seemed to involve some unnecessary extra ascents and I had been to Rocamadour last year, so I followed Mr Google's suggested route - which still had plenty of uphill - along forest tracks and minor roads for a coffee and food stop at the small town of Gramat.
Crossing the Dordogne

My supplies included a big bottle of mineral water, very necessary on a hot day like this, which I wedged onto the rack on the back of the bike. Except that it fell off on the first bump in the road out of town, requiring a rapid dismount and dash after the bottle as it rolled downhill, much to the amusement of passing drivers.
Riding through Espedaillac
The route is now mostly downhill to the Célé valley at Figeac, but I had picked up a leaflet that listed outdoor swimming spots, and saw that a small diversion might give a chance for a dip. So I took a route further west through Teilhac and Espédaillac to Espagnac-Sainte-Eulalie where it was just about possible to swim for a few strokes under this bridge and the chance to cool off was very welcome.


From here it was an easy 20 km along the Célé valley to Figeac, with a stop at a nice cafe next to the river, where the other patrons were walkers heading in the opposite direction, following another of the Santiago pilgrim routes which started in Le Puy en Velay.

Most French motorists folow this advice, unlike back home.
I soon found my hotel by the river and settled into the usual post ride routine - shower and rest, wander round the town (which has lots of fine medieval architecture) and seek out a restaurant (or in this case, just follow the advice of the patronne who directed me to an excellent place round the corner).


Figeac. My hotel is the building on the far side of the bridge.


The main square in Figeac
Distance today - 85 km.                   Distance from St Malo 813 km.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the blog Bob, as I'm sure I would have enjoyed the ride, although I think I would have struggled at times. Well done. Chapeaux.

    ReplyDelete